Total Pageviews

Wednesday, 14 December 2011

Interior Silence


The divine intimacy book that I have been reading throughout advent has some really powerful lessons within its pages.

The lesson that I read last night talks of a need to create an interior silence within our souls so that we can listen to God effectively. We are surrounded by so many distractions that leak into our minds and divert our attention from what is really important.

This interior silence will be a hard habit to create within myself as I always struggle to empty my mind and think of nothing but God. I see the benefit's though and will be trying to foster this. Practical ways include creating an exterior habit of silence by talking in a sensible way. That is, to say only what needs to be said and to listen to others rather than being ready to jump in with your own opinion.

Controlling our tongue is a difficult habit and by this I don't just mean stopping swearing. I mean curbing our rambling and anything that may offend. By listening to others we can learn to be able to listen to God in our souls and let him in. I am really aware that when I get carried away with talking, to the extent that I have talked about the same thing over and over again, I don't feel close to God and I feel a little empty.

By listening and responding in a short and appropriate way to anyone we speak to, we can become more aware of God's presence within ourselves and create this interior silence needed to listen to what God wants us to do. An intimate union with God is our goal and this is one of many steps to take in trying to achieve this.

Joyful Christmas to all.

In God's Love

SSG

1 comment:

  1. Great post, thanks. I consider you blessed in this regard, something I struggle with mightily. May you progress more and more along this path and may good St Joseph intercede for us all in our journey into holy silence.

    ReplyDelete